- The English translation of Meerkat is "marsh cat" - but they do not live near marshes, and they aren’t actually cats!
- In the Compare the Market TV Ads, Alexander the Meerkat and his friends come from a place called Meerkovo, in Russia. Meerkats actually originate from Southern Africa, where it is far too hot to wear a dressing gown!
- Meerkats have excellent eyesight, and can spot predators in the air from over 300 metres away. They get a pretty good view of the sea from their enclosure here at Tapnell
- Meerkats eat snakes, spiders, scorpions, lizards, plants eggs and other creepy crawlies, and they are immune to certain types of snake bites and scorpion stings
- A group of meerkats is often called a clan, or a mob. They usually hunt together in groups, with a designated lookout standing up on their back legs to keep watch over the others
You will find our mob of Meerkats located outside in the Wallaby Walkbout