Scientific Name: Oryctolagus cuniculusOrigin: EuropeLife Span: 7-12 Years
- Lionhead Rabbits are known as such because of their large, fluffy manes – similar to that of a male lion
- There are many different types of Lionhead Rabbit, ranging from “Dwarf”, “Double Maned”, “Single Maned”, “Lop Eared”, “Teddy Bear” and more
- Rabbits are one of the 12 animals that make up the Chinese Zodiac. They represent graciousness, kindness, sensitivity, compassion, tenderness and elegance
- Flemish Giant Rabbits can grow up to 2.5 feet long, and can weigh almost 22 pounds
- Rabbits use their long ears to control their body temperature
You will find our Pets Corner inside our farmyard barn in the Meet the Animals area!
Scientific Name: Cavia porcellusOrigin: South AmericaLife Span: 4-8 YearsAverage Height: 7-10cm (long)
- Guinea Pigs are social animals, and live much happier lives in groups of two or more. They also recognise and bond with each other
- Despite their name, Guinea Pigs are not actually part of the pig family, and they don’t come from Guinea
- Guinea Pigs sometimes purr like a cat when they are happy, and sometimes make a whistling noise when they are excited – often when it is time for their food!
- Grass is the main food in a Guinea Pig’s diet, but they also have to eat fresh fruit and vegetables (keeping up with their 5 a day!)
- Guinea Pigs originated in the Andes mountains in South America. They don’t exist naturally in the wild, but their closest “wild” descendants are a species called Cavia aperea